Monday, August 26, 2024

The pleasure of small sewing projects in batches.

 Do you ever want to sew, but find when you are on the cusp of a large project actually starting is a bit daunting? This definitely happens for me. Currently I have fabric and patterns set to go for a dress and shirt but to begin, well it seemed to need more energy than I had this past weekend. So a small project is a perfect distraction and a sideways path into sewing!




I made 3 door stops. The need arose as the fabric on an earlier model split, released the sand filling - messy! The pattern is copied from a doorstop made for me by a friend. A wonderful idea, very handy in our climate with wind gusts which can change direction rapidly and often. 

These take a small amount of fabric. This is a floral recycled curtain, which I recall a long time ago purchasing at an op shop. I have mostly made aprons with it to date, but still have several largish pieces left. (I 'rediscovered' these in the ongoing process of moving and organising and shifting things around which seems to be my life. Made worse throurgh a lengthly house renovation and student sons moving in and out of home for the holidays.)

I like batch sewing. The way I can organise the piles and process and see my construction methods evolve, and hopefully improve, through sewing the same things multiple times over.

A modification to these ones are the filling. The last batch I filled only with sand. Once finally stitched up and complete I observed they did not have the same erect shape as the original. Some research revealed I have missed the vital final step of filling the base with sand, and the top with some 'regular' stuffing. For these I recycled some possum wool from a much loved jumper which had shrunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment