Tuesday, March 11, 2014

New lingo - Round Robin #1 Quilt Centre, Vintage Beauty

This week I faced a challenge, one of the quilt variety.  It came in the form of an invitation to participate in a round robin quilt.  These quilts are going to live in Mangere Women's Refuge.  Lovely sentiment and a deadline to produce by this Saturday and well, a hell of a schedule this week.  So naturally I bowed out.  And, well, there was quilt jargon I did not understand on the original invite, 'make a centre' (meaning what exactly to a non quilter?), so it fell to the side.  . . . .

Then a friend produced her centre and I was inspired.  So I hatched a plan on a swim at Omaha on Monday that just maybe it was possible, if I re-read the email, I recalled a couple of bits of fabric that could just work, and just maybe Thursday would give the window of time required . . . .

Then today a small space opened courtesy of my wonderful husband being in the kitchen, the washing all folded, and well, I made a centre.


Turns out the jargon was not as difficult as I imagined.  The hunt for the original fabric sent me off on a different tangent, and I think I have made a log cabin, a rectangle, approximately 10" in size.  The beginning was an embroidered rescued pillow slip, which seemed appropriate.

Next I put this into a bag, and I have added some extra fabric, and then I will get another quilt centre to work with.  No idea really how this works but figure I can always enlist some help if required!  And this was fun, and a very workable size, and for me a way to use up small pieces of fabric together which I enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment