Saturday, October 23, 2021

Agustina Boxy Top Miracle

 As I spend more time immersed in the online sewing community I am delighted to find solutions to my wardrobe conundrums. This top is one such example.



Short version. I have re-worked a me-made top, plus the saved left over fabric, with this free Agustina Boxy Top pattern from the Fabrics-Store.com. Perfect extra layer, with wide armholes to accommodate all types of sleeves, blousy and fitted. Yet not too long or bulky so I can still add a jacket for my walk to work. The neckline is high enough to give structure, scooped enough to allow some detail to show through. The length is designed to likewise allow a little pop of interest.


And, if you are interested, here is the long version. 

(Long verions like this alway make me think of Melanie Griffith's character in the lift in the 1988 movie Working Girl. Tess McGill had that lift ride to explain the genesis of her merger idea. The story of course proves that it was her creative mind which hatched the idea, not her boss (played by Sigourney Weaver) who had shamelessly stolen it!)

Since picking up more sewing I have been thinking about my wardrobe. I was captivated by Karen Templer's sharing of her capsule wardrobe photos and plans, but also by her vests. These seemed a perfect way to extend and mix and match, plus the practical additional warmth of an extra layer. Only they are all knitted, and I am still trying to finish a pair of socks which have been on the needles for about 2 years. 

I tried to find a sewing pattern. This including drafting the Amara vest pattern. But the hurdle there was fabric. Reviews have shown this sewn in heavier or bulkier looking fabric than appealed to me.

My new plan was to knit a Holiday Slipover - although aware this was no small undertaking, and definitely on the long term plan list! I like the large armholes which will accommodate all manner of sleeves.

Then I saw Instagram posts by Teresa Hardy @desewtropia of this Agustine Top - doing everything I wished for. Her fabric selection was not bulky but added interest.

My fabric here is another story. Some decades ago I purchased fabric at Cushla's in Devonport. I acquired a loyalty card, and qualified for some amount off a future purchase. Gorgeoous shop I recall, but completely out of the way for me. A special trip was needed and I bought this fine knitted textured fabric. No plans at that time and limited experience of sewing knit fabric. Result - into the stash for storage for literally years. It has rather haunted me so I found a wrap pattern in a Japanese magazine I had, and deliberately did not dwell on it, just cut it up and sewed it. I wore it a few times. It did add warmth, but I was never happy with the back, a drape turned to a sag. It reminded me of a similarly unsuccessful Paper Cut circle top which I no longer have. On a 'shrug' the armholes have to be small enough to grip and keep the garmet on, while the round opening is prone to slipping off the shoulder.


Construction for this top did involve first cutting a large, then once basted and tried on, taking it back to a size M. It is as the name suggests, a boxy top. Depending on the stretch of future fabric I might take it in a little more.

It was exciting to cut it up and start again. Albeit with some zero waste challenges to fit the top out. I am pleased with the result and think it will be handy. And possibly not the last one of these I make.

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment