Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Cheyenne Tunic in Rayon

 This is a garment which is inspired by a much worn, now retired due to tatty condition, favourite shirt. This is Hey June Cheyenne Tunic


Fabric

I was looking for a rayon or viscose, ideally in a geometric print, but I wanted to feel and purchase the fabric in store. And as I only went to one store that narrowed the options. The weight, drape and temperature of this fabric is really really lovely to wear. I am slightly suspicious of how it will wear with a few pin marks needing gentle pressing after construction. That said I did unpick a bit on the collar, and it has pressed up well.

The make:

After sewing a succession of very simple garments there was  a bit of hesitation on the scale of this shirt, and all the many pattern pieces. But once I began I enjoyed the process. I started with some of the smaller pieces, sewing the pockets and the sleeve tabs first, procrastinating and also getting a feel for the fabric before I tackled the front shaped half placket. This is evidence of smarter operating - why do so many patterns have you start on the centre front with the first seam.

The fit was fine, apart from adding 5cm to the body length. The sleeve length was OK but I must say once finished I am tempted to make them simpler next time. I think I will mainly wear them 3/4 length rolled up, so the work of the cuff and placket seem unecessary.

I found the directions of the front placket slightly tricky and I am still not sure of the final result. I see there is a sew along so I will research this before I sew this up again - which I plan to do 2022, maybe in a winter weight . . .

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment