Wednesday, December 1, 2021

My Faithful Bernina Nova 900

My faithful workhorse of a machine, the 1982 Bernina Nova, was a 21st birthday present in 1987. 


Before then I was using my mother's hand me down Bernina, which was, to my recollection, also a perfectly fine machine. The highpoint for me with that machine was sewing a dress for my first year Ball at University. I recall this very well as I ended up constructing two bodices. Both were well made, the first just 3 inches too short!

My 'current' machine was bought second hand from the local Bernina dealer in my home town Gisborne, New Zealand. My mother made the decision and purchase. She was very familiar with this model as she herself has bought herself a brand new one several years before.

So this machine has been in my life for more than 30 years. I confess there have been times I have considered upgrading, but now, I think we've made it this far it's probably a keeper.

At one time a fancier and newer model caught my eye with it's automatic button hole program. The 1982 Nova does have this feature but it sews the second bead in reverse, and the finish is not quite as good as the modern programing which makes both beads sewn forward with a tighter satin stitch finish. But, seriously, when a garment is complete and makes it into the wardrobe, who ever looks at the quality of the button holes. When I had these thoughts I was doing some sewing classes, one of which was making a tailored jacket - I wanted a keyhole style button hole. Again beyond the level of my machine. But at that time (late 1990's Auckland, New Zealand), I found somewhere that did these button holes, 50 cents each. Sad to think that 25+ years on I don't think this place would be existence.

More recently I did crave three stitch long zigzag stitch option which my faithful Nova does not do. This was likely for some quilting style project. Anyway, given that now I struggle to remember the exact details, the conclusion is we got through this period of unrest! I suspect this machine will be with me for life. 

As you would expect with a machine of it's vintage, we do run into a few problems. But my reliable, no-nonsense machine service man tells me for my machine we have fixed the top three issues so maybe all that behind us. I love the way the foot pedal offers brilliant speed control, literally a stitch at a time.

Curiously. I did end up with my mother's machine as well. Unfortunately it suffered one of the common age-related problems for for this model, the foot pedal either didn't go at all, or it went hell for leather. It was quietly put out to pasture. Actually it was donated to Ribbon Rose who said they could use it for parts. They support new sewers in South Auckland, and I do hope there were some parts which were useful and may be launching a sewer on their way our there.

Claire

October 2021



No comments:

Post a Comment