Saturday, October 22, 2022

Liesl and Co Classic Shirt


Finally I have made this shirt, twice. Liesl & Co Classic Shirt.

I loved the scale of it, even the number of pattern pieces seemed to take forever to cut out. It is a long time since I have made a tailored shirt and I enjoyed it.




Fabric: 
1 Grey striped linen from the Nippon Sewing District in Tokyo which was a dream to sew. And 2 was a piece brought at a Retro store in Gisborne, It has good drape and possibly is a viscose, in a coral pink colour (which is not in my usualy colour palette).

Size: I made a 12, and added length to the body and sleeves. The result is a more volumous shirt than I was thinking. 
If there is one thing that would improve my results it would be more attention to sizing. As I sew more, I do now look at the finished garment measurements and consider the ease. But the next step would be to baste together the key pieces for an early assessment. I confess I cannot ever imagine making a toile!
These sleeves are too long. I think I would make the cuff width narrower next time as well.



I liked batch sewing. I tried a couple of different collar construction methods although I did not document them and would not be sure which worked better for me, or the fabric so I must make better notes next time.

I am putting a size 10 version of this on my 2023 plans, might even already have some fabric here I could use!

2 comments:

  1. Two successful and quite different looks. The linen seems more your style. Yet the tucked in, sleeves folded up, coral blouse gets the 1/3 : 2/3 proportions well. Agree re never making a toile, however I do sew in biggest stitch, contrast colour thread, to check the size before sewing or overlocking a permanent seam. Looking forward to no.3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sue, I appreciate your comments. Claire

    ReplyDelete