Saturday, October 22, 2022

More Elastic Waisted Pants - Sidewinders

 An impromtu week at home with Covid gave me a chance to sew. After nailing a couple of pair of shorts for my son, I sewed up another pair of Sewing Revival Sidewinder pants.





These were in fabric possibly from my local emporium, not sure. A black/grey cotton pinstripe it has a slightly snuggly wrong side which has a bit or warmth. Unforunately altough I have made these pants before, with some fitting modifications, I had not recorded these well on my pattern so cut to the orignal. The result is the pants sit lower than I like. (I have adjusted the pattern now and made careful notes!)

I love the concept of the sidewinding seam on these pants but this fabric does not really highlight this. I like the flat front finish, and the fit is comfortable without being too baggy in the rear. The construction of the band is great and I was pleased with the finish. I added some elasrtic to the back half of the cuff, a detail copied from a friend's RTW pants.


I have previously made this pattern 3 times, altough only one of those pairs is still in my wardrobe - down to poor fabric choice for the other two.



My relationship with elastic waisted pants is a mixed one. I like the finsh and look of fitted trousers, but given I have a pair of clasic pants hanging half finished in my sewing room, I think I am drawn to the elastic waists as these are more fit-friendly. My me-made collection includes Sidewinders and Pallisade pants. My blue sidewinders are the most well worn. The Pallisades I have worn a little less. I prefer the cleaner line of the pockets on the sidewinder to the 'hippy' Pallisade pockets.



Next on the list is a pair of Sew House Seven Free Range Slacks, I will be interested to try this design.


No comments:

Post a Comment